• Namira Hussain, Pasqueline Agostinho

Four people escape house fire in West Drayton

A family of four, and their dog, escaped a house fire which broke out in West Drayton, Uxbridge, last night (February 15). The Brigade's Fire Investigators believe the fire was accidental and involved a lithium-ion battery from an electric scooter which was on charge at the time the blaze started. The Fire Brigade was called at 9:36pm, with two fire engines, and a team of 10 firefighters from Hillingdon Fire Station arriving at the scene.


Firefighters were able to rescue a dog from the first floor.


Hillingdon Station Officer Simon Hall, who was at the scene, said: “One of the occupants was alerted to the fire after hearing popping and they saw the batteries sparking.”


“The scooter was on charge under the stairs in the open plan living room, so the family was very lucky to get out. If it had happened later at night when they were asleep the fire could easily have developed and engulfed the staircase.”


Hall also said that lithium-ion can catch on fire if the incorrect charger is used. Hillingdon Station also added that care should be taken with batteries to avoid damage from movement, as well as avoiding high temperatures.


There were no reports of any injuries.


67 views

Recent Posts

See All

A barn fire on Hill End Road in Harefield was attended by four fire engines and approximately 25 firemen on May 11. A single-storey barn in a large field was destroyed by the fire. An on-site tractor